New look for russellhoban.org and heads-up for SA4QE

  • Richard C
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17
      Hi all,

      I've finally had time to give russellhoban.org a makeover to make it
      easier to view the content on tablets and smartphones.

      All the content has been reviewed to make it as easy as possible to
      read on devices other than a desktop PC. So now for instance you don't
      get sidebars squishing the main page content when you're reading on a
      mobile phone, and things have more space to breathe on a tablet.

      I've also tried to declutter things in general with a cleaner,
      sans-serif font, and changed a couple of the colours here and there.

      All of this is just in time for the annual Russell Hoban celebration
      known as SA4QE, in which, on 4th February, readers share their
      favourite quotations from Hoban books in public places and/or online.

      Closer to 4th February it will be possible to register/log into the
      site and post your report. Full instructions will appear on the site
      at that time. Previous years' contributions starting with 2016's can
      be seen at www.russellhoban.org/sa4qe

      On the day itself you can also tweet your quotes with the hashtag
      #sa4qe and I will retweet as many as possible from @russellhobanorg.

      I hope you enjoy the new-look site and look forward to seeing your
      quotes next month.

      All bes

      Richard
      www.russellhoban.org
    • mike dickman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17
        looking good.
        i shall be in Taipei on the 4th., my nose deep inside work, so maybe i'll try and come up with my quote before, if that's okay?

        --

        You're always you, and that doesn't change, and you're always changing, and there's nothing you can do about it.
        ~Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche IV
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 18
          Thanks Richard, for the streamlining. It's a lot easier to use.

          Subject: [the-kraken] New look for russellhoban.org and heads-up for SA4QE
          To: "The Kraken" <the-kraken@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 18
            Nice work, Mister Cooper. :-)
          • halfbaconsandwich
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29

              Hi awl,

              I meant to post this before Christmas, for those who remember (again) the ladies' group somewhere in the US northwest, who made disapproving noises about Soonchild.  It was good to see a Hoban quote on facebook from a reader in Alaska...

              'If you dream up a big dream brew you had better be prepared to drink until the bottom' - Yep! Unfortunately things have not worked out at the kennel I was working with.  So I am in Whitehorse for a few days looking at options. All possibilities are back on the table so if anyone hears of an interesting winter venture in North America then shout up.  If it includes a cabin, the chance to run dogs, or the time to prepare for an art Exhibit in AK then I might just be interested…

              Thanks for the update and work on the .org website, Richard, and for the numerous other jobs you do, have done, which keep us all going.

              Al bes,

              emmae

              king with
              https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v7/f24/1.5/16/1f641.png:-( So I am in Whitehorse for a few days looking at options. All possibilities are back on the table so if anyone hears of an interesting winter venture in north America then shout up. If it includes a cabin, the chance to run dogs, or the time to prepare for an art Exhibit in AK then I might just be interested.

            • apsley88
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 29

                Seconding that appreciation of what Cooperman is and is about - lovely to see Fremder on Twitter the other day !   :)

                Talking of which, I'm sure that I only read Part One of Russ on The Kraken, Richard, so a reminder of where to find Parts One and Two would be good...

                Was thinking of Russ' manner a few weeks back, in this :

                Starry fronds and earthly movements
                Shield the look the shepherds gave
                Back towards the crystal cave
              • Richard Cooper
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3
                  Thanks for the comments and support, you guys!

                  Love that quote from Soonchild. In fact here it is again: 'If you
                  dream up a big dream brew you had better be prepared to drink until
                  the bottom'.

                  You can find part 1 of Russ on the Kraken at
                  http://www.russellhoban.org/essay/russell-hoban-on-the-kraken-part-1
                  and part 2 at http://www.russellhoban.org/essay/russell-hoban-on-the-kraken-part-2

                  All bes

                  Cooperman :)

                  On 29 January 2017 at 23:58, apsley88@... [the-kraken]

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 18

                    Thanks, Richard - just got around to reading Part Two, from which I briefly break off, A.