Re- Birkana (virtual) SR

  • CTLPELWV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2009
      Thanks to Stefan Vorkoetter for confirming my "suspicions". Of course, I
      was being facetious in asking how to obtain an actual Birkana. (The smiley
      face after my question didn't get transmitted.) Photoshop indeed can work
      wonders.

      As Stefan notes, the rules may exist in Middle Earth-- Tplkien just never
      got around to mentioning them, nor any other instance of his characters
      doing calculations.
      (:>)

      Cyron Lawson

    • Stefan Vorkoetter
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2009
        CTLPELWV@... wrote:
        > Thanks to Stefan Vorkoetter for confirming my "suspicions". Of course, I
        > was being facetious in asking how to obtain an actual Birkana.

        Really? Your question was:

        > Seriously, how does one obtain one of these beauties?

        Usually when someone says "seriously", I assume they're now being
        serious. :-)

        --
        Stefan Vorkoetter
        http://www.stefanv.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2009
          But you can have your very own. Just swipe the images and javascript
          file off of his page. Like I just did.

          If he would do the other side I would consider printing the images and
          making one.

          > Thanks to Stefan Vorkoetter for confirming my "suspicions". Of course,
          > was being facetious in asking how to obtain an actual Birkana.

          Really? Your question was:

          > Seriously, how does one obtain one of these beauties?

          Usually when someone says "seriously", I assume they're now being
          serious. :-)

          --
          Stefan Vorkoetter
          http://www.stefanv.com

        • Ronald McConnell
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2009
            I was trying to determine who cooked up
            the birkana number symbols.
            Lots of google hits for
            birkana number symbols,
            but none seem to reveal the origin.
            I don't _think it_ was the Vikings.
            A friend who knows some about such things says,
            "There's some evidence [the Vikings used] a vintegesimal
            system."
            Did the fellow who has the birkana virtual slide rule do it?
            Compact, clever, logical...
            I still like "0" instead of "1" for zero,
            but that would not be rune like.

            The Birkana symbols could be simply extended
            for hexadecimal notation and would be neater than the
            0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E
            used now.
            A few years ago I was busy typing in a couple
            of hundred pages of numbers (read "boring")
            for an echo canceller chip control register
            from paper into the computer and converting
            the data to binary and hexadecimal.
            It dawned on me that it was my birthday
            and that I was 57-decimal and 39-hex.
            So for the next year I could claim I was 39 (again).
            But the following year, saying I was 3A years old
            drew blank stares.

            Cheers,

            Ron McConnell

            Most of the people on this earth are below average.
            - Thor Sveinbjornson