  • Ronald McConnell
    Nov 12, 2009
      I was trying to determine who cooked up
      the birkana number symbols.
      Lots of google hits for
      birkana number symbols,
      but none seem to reveal the origin.
      I don't _think it_ was the Vikings.
      A friend who knows some about such things says,
      "There's some evidence [the Vikings used] a vintegesimal
      system."
      Did the fellow who has the birkana virtual slide rule do it?
      Compact, clever, logical...
      I still like "0" instead of "1" for zero,
      but that would not be rune like.

      The Birkana symbols could be simply extended
      for hexadecimal notation and would be neater than the
      0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E
      used now.
      A few years ago I was busy typing in a couple
      of hundred pages of numbers (read "boring")
      for an echo canceller chip control register
      from paper into the computer and converting
      the data to binary and hexadecimal.
      It dawned on me that it was my birthday
      and that I was 57-decimal and 39-hex.
      So for the next year I could claim I was 39 (again).
      But the following year, saying I was 3A years old
      drew blank stares.

      Cheers,

      Ron McConnell

      Most of the people on this earth are below average.
      - Thor Sveinbjornson
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic