Printing the ACN dial.

  • wd4nka
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 19, 2014
      I have the artwork for the ACN dial ready to go, after about 6 hours of editing.  At first I was going to do a simple scan, edit and plating, but found that no matter how I set my scanner, or shot the 'copy', it came out looking just like that....a photocopy.  I want something that looks like National produced it, that was the goal.  So, using the original scan, I hand drew and lettered the whole dial on a super-imposed layer directly atop the original, matching the text, kerning, line depth, and most importantly, those NC diamonds on each corner.  It's a project I am taking on between my "day" job and my other paid printing projects, but as I progress, I will be posting installments to my Wireless & Letterpress Blog at:

      http://www.q5letterpress.blogspot.com/

      It's a blog where I explore the phenomena I have observed over the years that many Letterpress Printers hold Ham tickets, and many Hams keep a Letterpress Shop!  What's the connect?

      Anyway, it's a diversion.  If you need a diversion, check it out.  :)

      Mean-time, I need some advice: while I can print these dial faces, do you think it necessary that I somehow locate an actual dial to make sure, when the final bindery cuts are done, these will, in fact, fit?  Or should straight adherence to the dimensions of the sample  so kindly donated to me for this project (which will be sent back when I am done, btw!) suffice?

      -gary // wd4nka
    • Bill Cromwell
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 4 7:00 PM
        Hi Curt,

        Fair is fair. We discuss regens on some of the other lists where
        supehets and even SDR radios are the norm. So now, back to regens
        whether it's a regen detector in a superhet (super-gainer or
        regenerodyne) or little peanut tube minimal gizmo with just one active
        device (0-1-0).

        I found a nice lil chassis (heavy and stiff for it's small size) with
        some 7-pin sockets already mounted and room for the tuning cap/inductor.
        I am laying out a regen on it with battery tubes (1T4, etc). I'm
        thinking plug-in coil(s) and taking it around to show n tell at places
        like club meeting and out to the parks. Of course I'll be running my new
        regen on batteries - else why bother about battery tubes <grin>.

        73,

        Bill KU8H