John B. Holthouse

  • skholiast
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25

      Dear listmembers,

      I received word yesterday that longtime contributor to BIBAL John Holthouse died this month, just prior to Easter. His wife Caroline followed him in death nine days later.

      John had several health problems towards the end, and I was out of touch with him. His email correspondence had dropped off dramatically along with his participation in the group discussions, as he aged. I began to suspect that there may have been memory loss and dementia. John was a private person and did not volunteer details, and I allowed myself to be put off by his reticence, but finally my conscience got the better of me and I ventured a real letter via the US mail. I did not receive a reply, but John's brother Edward emailed me yesterday and informed me of the news.

      I am deeply saddened by this, as I expect many here will be. John's correspondence here was always provocative and deep. He was an idiosyncratic and forceful thinker He turned my attention towards Aristotle in a new way, pointed me at some medieval and modern commentators who I would otherwise have overlooked, and above all engaged everyone here on BIBAL with respect and challenge. He read Ernest and Duane's work with open-minded and fierce intelligence and brought to bear a refreshing philosophical facility that raised the whole discussion up, and certainly made several of us feel, at least momentarily, out of our depth, before we realized John was not just smart and erudite, but also good-hearted and sensitive.

      I am informed that His family will bring John to be interred in the veteran's cemetery in Wyoming where some other family members are also buried.

      ~~Bryan

    • PÓ Auglýsingastofa
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25
        Dear Bryan
        Thank you for your words about John Holthouse: "He brought to bear a refreshing philosophical facility".
        I have missed John's input here dearly and I will miss him.
        May god bless John Holthouse.
        Petur

[...]

      • Howard Schatz
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25
          Thank you Bryan,
          That is truly sad news. I always enjoyed my discussions with John. He was a tough customer and knew more about ancient Greek philosophy then I could ever hope to know.  He will be deeply missed.
          Howard

          On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:48 AM, PÓ Auglýsingastofa po@... [bibal]
          <bibal@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

        • Pete Dello
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26

            Thanks Bryan,

            This saddens me so much. John dropped off the radar before Ernest's death and I missed my own contact with him very much. He couldn't quite get the handle on harmonics and I could never quite understand his Aristotelian approach, but I felt we always contacted each other at some more human level. I tried several times to contact him by email and I'm so grateful that you persisted to use snail mail, Bryan; it would have always left a a question in my mind. He was, to my knowledge a one time marine with a degree in philosophy. Apparently his wife also held a degree in the same. There must have been some heady conversations in their household! Most of all I will remember his wry, gentle humour. I remember one time, after attempting VERY hard to grasp some obscure metaphysical point he was making, he replied - "Good try, Pete, but no cigar!" I hope that he is still having heady philosophical conversations with his wife and privileged others where he is now. God bless him!

            Pete