memory delimma

  • ken lill
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2016
      Here's my dilemma:
      I have this massive 1 Megabyte ROM full of programs, some of which are larger than the 8K normally accessible from the cartridge slot. I have RAM basically from 5000H to FFFFH available.
      I can write a program that can go into 5000h area and it can be <= FFFh. I can even set up the stack to 5FFAh and it won't need to be in the screen RAM.
      How can I load these massive programs from this ROM into the RAM in 1 or 2 loads, without stepping on any of the RAM or ROM area not being used until playing is to start?

      I would love to be able to load QUADRA in one load then set the stack to 6FFAh and then load in BRB and then run!
      I can address any address line <= A19. That is what my latch is for. It can address 64K chunks of ROM if I so want it to but I would have to switch back and forth between the ROM and RAM. I think that may be tricky.

      Any suggestions as to how this can be mapped out? I need this info for my menu driven UltiMulti, Red RAM unit.
      Please help,
      Thanks
      Ken Lill
    • Adam Trionfo
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2016
        Ken Lill wrote:

        I have this massive 1 Megabyte ROM full of programs [... I want to run programs from my] menu driven UltiMulti, Red RAM unit.

        Running a menu-driven "multicart" from the 50-pin expansion is a great idea.  Before delving into loading games larger than 8K, dooes loading and running carts in the 2K cartridge area currently work from the menu?

        Adam

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12, 2016
          you DO own multicarts, don't you?
          Ken

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 12, 2016

            Ken Lill wrote:

            you DO own multicarts, don't you?

            I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Yes, I own a multicart.  I have three different ones-- all of which plug into the cartridge port.  The in-progress Red White and Blue Ram plugs into the 50-pin connector.  It's not a multicart at all, not by sense of the word that I know.  Even if it plays cartridge games, it's not a cartridge... so it's not a multicart.

            My question remains: do cartridges of normal size (8K or less) run as expected from the RWB Ram expansion with the built-in menu?

            Adam

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 12, 2016
              The Multi-program system actually runs like a cart. It is controlled by the cartridge slot hardware. When you select the Ulti, it shifts it to the 2Kh area, so it runs like a Multicart. You just don't have the dip switches to change from one game to another. It will all be done through the MENU selection process of the On Board ROM. The biggest "breakthrough" is that if you select a game that needed 2-3 loads, it will be done seamless.You just select the game and the switching and loading will all be done be machine language programming.
              Ken

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 12, 2016
                I think the is a great idea.  I thought of going this route many years ago but didn’t have time or resources.  If you could add actual usable RAM to it then you could add  other games that require some of the ram expanders, an all in one.

                Really cool idea.  Where can you get the rams for name for the Astrocade games?

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 12, 2016
                  I have a project in the works that has up to 60K of RAM as well as 1MBYTE of ROM and Blue Ram compatible I/O. It also can come with Composite Video and pseudo stereo audio outputs. It also has an option to have the Blue Ram 24 pin ZIF, which can incorporate a 64 key keyboard. I call it the Red WHITE and Blue RAM. I figure about 2 months until completion. I have to get the money to buy the PC boards.
                  Ken Lill