32295Re: Could the partitioning of Ukraine solve it's problems?

    Feb 23, 2010
      "rivkaschirman" <capitetes@...> wrote:

      > From what I have read (quite a lot, actually, for my
      > dissertation), I could find nowhere any document (a legally binding
      > one) that promised autonomy to the Ukrainians in Eastern Galicia
      > under the Second Polish Republic. Not in 1919 and not later. All
      > the documents I have read only speak of religious and cultural
      > freedom to minorities, none mention Ukrainians and even less
      > Ukrainian autonomy in Eastern Galicia.
      > Rivka

      *********

      The government of the Directory of the Ukrainian National Republic sent a delegation headed by Hryhorii Sydorenko (replaced in August by Mykhailo Tyshkevych) to lobby for admission to the conference, recognition of Ukraine's independence, the withdrawal of Polish, Rumanian, and Allied forces from Ukraine, and support for its war against Soviet Russia. The delegation, which included Vasyl Paneiko, Arnold Margolin, Oleksander Shulhyn, Serhii Shelukhyn, Borys Matiushenko, A. Halip, Makar Kushnir, Stepan Tomashivsky, S. Zarkhii, A. Petrushevych, O. Kulchytsky, D. Isaievych, P. Didushok, Serhii Tymoshenko, V. Kolosovsky, Mykola H. Levytsky, Oleksander Sevriuk, and Fedir Savchenko, submitted memorandums to the conference's General Secretariat. The delegation's extraordinary members, Mykhailo Lozynsky and Dmytro Vitovsky, lobbied for a Ukrainian-Polish armistice on behalf of the Western Province of the Ukrainian National Republic. Ukrainian representatives from Canada and the United States (Osyp Megas, Ivan Petrushevych, K. Bilyk, J. Hamill) aided the delegation. From December a separate Western Ukrainian National Republic delegation headed by Paneiko lobbied for Western Ukrainian independence. It submitted memorandums and documents, and protests against the Polish occupation written by Lozynsky, Vitovsky, Yevhen Levytsky, Tomashivsky, Volodymyr Temnytsky, and O. Burachynsky. Transcarpathian leaders (eg, Antin Beskyd, Hryhorii Zhatkovych) submitted memorandums to the conference supporting the incorporation of Transcarpathia into Czechoslovakia.

      Although national self-determination was one of its basic principles, the conference did not officially recognize the Ukrainian delegations or Ukraine's independence, but favored instead (under Russian anti-Bolshevik and American influence) the preservation of the territorial integrity of the Russian Empire. It did not undo the occupation of the Western Ukrainian lands by Poland, Czechoslovakia, and Rumania, although it tried to put an end to the Ukrainian-Polish War in Galicia, 1918â€"19, Ukrainian-Soviet War, 1917â€"21, and Russian civil war (see Berthélemy Mission, Louis Botha). Under pressure from the pro-Polish French and American delegates (including Clemenceau and President Thomas Woodrow Wilson), the conference sanctioned the Polish occupation of Galicia.

      BIBLIOGRAPHY
      Décisions du Conseil Suprême sur la Galicie Orientale: Les plus importants documents, intro M. Lozynsky (Paris 1919)
      Notes présentées par la Délégation de la République Ukrainienne à la Conférence de la Paix à Paris (Paris 1919)
      Lozyns’kyi, M. Halychyna v rr. 1918â€"1920 (Vienna 1922; repr New York 1970)
      Thompson, J.M. Russia, Bolshevism, and the Versailles Peace (Princeton 1966)
      Lundgreen-Nielsen, K. The Polish Problem at the Paris Peace Conference: A Study of the Policies of the Great Powers and the Poles, 1918â€"1919 (Odense 1979)

      Roman Senkus

      [This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]

      http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/pages/P/A/ParisPeaceConference.htm

      ******

      See also:

      Lukasz, Elena. "Ukraine at the Paris Peace Conference: 1919." Ph.D. dissertation, University of Chicago, 1963.