Update 90 MM Gun

  • winn_harry
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8 2:24 PM

      Monday May 8. Tom "Big Wheel" Anderson and Pat Bragdon led the effort to get the wheels off the carriages and the tires off of the wheels. The job got done!!!!! Joe K, Harry Winn and Joe J all chipped in.

      Our contractor had to add a second truck and by using the air compressed tools from both, the tires were finally removed and hauled away. They had no problem with lug nuts, but the two part wheels, combined with over 50 years of rust fought us all the way. The weakness of the tires contributed to the challenge. In normal tire removal, the strength of the tire assists the hydraulic removal tool. Not these tires. We had to borrow two pieces of 18" long steel channel from Fred's stash to use to help compress the tires. Note:Fred isn't going to want these pieces back as the power of the tools bent a nice arc into each piece.

      This brings Phase A, step 1 of the project to a close. The wheel parts are ready for sandblasting.

      During down time Pat and Tom freed up the wrench for the left arm hydraulic pump from its travelling position. They also freed up the tightening screw for the right side chair mount. In addition, they  put more penetrating oil on countless other spots.

      On the subject of sandblasting, we have solved the water source issue from the Biden center.  At the same time we were working  on the wheels, about 25 Army and Air national Guard troops were holding a training exercise in the Biden Center Parking lot. These units and all their hazmat trucks were there. They were practicing treating and decontaminating participants. They needed water. They discovered the tap to use from the utility room behind the kitchen. It will be an easy hook up.

      We will continue our pursuit of getting all the joints moving. Sand blasting starts May 22 and will go on for 1 week.

      Harry

    • jvhroberts19702
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9 3:54 AM
        I saw the pics!! VERY good work!! Thanks for taking the lead on this, Tom.

        John
      • William Short
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9 10:13 AM

          Harry,

          Congratulations to Big Wheel Tommy, Pat, Joe K., Joe J and you for a tough job well done. HUZZA HUZZA

          Will

          Message 4 of 4 , May 9 12:37 PM
            I'll second that!!!

            John