For the week of 5/11/16

  • jvhroberts19702
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8 3:59 AM
      Let's keep on with what we have.

      Additionally, let's get a bill of materials to repower T607 and T604. We have some things already, left over from T600.

      Let's continue to reorganize Smith for the asbestos abatement program. Also, let's start labeling what we want to get rid of as far as surplus shop equipment. Don H, anything you want? And we do have your Dewalt planer, which you said you wanted back.

      See you all Thursday!!

      JVHR

    • Donald G Hattier DC
      Message 2 of 10 , May 8 4:45 AM
        Morning

        Thank you and the BB for that magnificent redo on the Mess Hall. If that is an indication of the rest to come, WOW>

        Planer if you don’t use it yes, I could use it back.

        Again when running wires etc please use metal conduit. It is worth the period look. The wiring does work if bright blue, but sort of sticks out a bit.

        My water is back on and I will be progressing on those lamps you gave.

        I spent 9 hours yesterday and Saturday sorting out the gear from the event.

        We will be able to move on to new projects here shortly.

        BTW the sound system revamp on the WC worked perfectly!! No issues. My back up was working as well. There was sufficient volume for all to hear.

        For the sound system in the OB. First thing is to get a large commercial lockable cabinet on that large girder in the back. I will send a link to what I think is needed. The wood one is to easy to break into. We could use either side. Probably left side rather than right looking to the back. Less obvious.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 8 5:08 AM
          We don't need the planer. We have two, besides yours!

          The wiring will be purely exterior and underground, so, plastic. We will, from now on, use metal below the ceiling. Since we now know there were drywall ceilings in these buildings back in the day, we're probably going to replace them. So anything above doesn't really matter.

          And thanks for the compliment on the mess hall!! That's our goal for all the buildings.

          As far as the sound system goes, I would suggest a NEMA 4 enclosure with an internal mounting plate for everything. They are reasonably priced, lockable and quite durable. They even come primed. Let's talk more about this and definitely get it done this season.

          Thanks again, Don. You and your team really pulled it off, as usual!!

          John
        • Dr. Donald Hattier
          Message 4 of 10 , May 8 5:09 AM

            Something like this.

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/steel-safe-wall-cabinet-100lb-weight-capacity-heavy-duty-lockable-doors-gray-new/122432208847

            This is a smidge bigger than the wood cabinet.

            I have panel punches etc for the wiring to come in and out.

            We might need some shielded 16 gauge for the speakers. Last time I used what I had but it was a 20 gauge.

            Might as well start fresh and do it plain right.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 8 5:10 AM

              I am more than good with a NEMA box.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 8 6:16 AM
                I don't want to be a pain but, the only building that had drywall on the ceiling was the wreck hall. The other buildings were done post WW2.

                Tim Phillips
                Ssgt. 1252 SCSU-QMC
                Life Member Fort Delaware Society

                "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another"

                Ernest Hemingway

                Message 7 of 10 , May 8 6:30 AM

                  that is the same as what I heard form Hrace KNowles.

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 8 6:42 AM
                    Tim, you are 100% correct for bringing it up.  Horace did confirm that the ceilings were open... On multiple occasions.

                    He also confirmed that the Rec Hall (600) was finished differently. It had a ceiling, furnishing, different curtains, etc.

                    Because the buildings were altered so much after WWII, it is possible that what we are seeing for ceiling modifications are all post war. I would want more solid proof for an argument that the buildings had ceilings during the war. With as quickly as they were built, it wouldn't make sense that they would ALL be finished in that manner.  Rec halls yes. All buildings? Doubtful.

                    Parks has WWII engineering drawings of these buildings from archives. I would look at them to see if they called for ceilings. From my recollection, they do not.

                    Just because "we think," or "it's practical," or "it's easier" is a disservice to the history we are attempting to preserve. Especially when the right way is in fact as it currently stands. At that point, we're working to make it wrong.

                    The same argument applies to putting HVAC in these buildings.

                    Mike

                    Sent from HTC One for Windows

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 9 3:53 AM
                      The NEMA 4 box probably costs about the same. I like it because when it's closed, it's sealed. So, no bugs, water, etc., will get into it.

                    • jvhroberts19702
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 9 4:17 AM
                        There's evidence they all had ceilings. I wish we had more photographs and less anecdotal evidence. There were a LOT of barracks at Fort Miles, and not all of them were for sleeping, etc.

                        Anyway, it's an ongoing discussion, and we're not moving on this any time soon.

                        John