Pier Bollards

  • derfllon
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 14, 2016

      I was at the Park today and got some pictures of 8 bollards that I believe were original to the pier and were removed over the years as the pier has been deteriorating and renovated. There are 4 -  3 foot high and 4 -  2 foot high hollow cast steel bollards weighing I guess about 1000# each.

      They are located behind the Park Office in the field behind where the recycle station use to be. These bollards are historically significant since if they were indeed part of the pier, mine laying ships were tied to them as depicted in a Howard Schroeder painting and also U-858 was tied up at this pier after the surrender.

      It would be very easy and at no or very little cost to pull these items out of the field and restore them for display in or around 519. Leaving them unprotected is not in the best interest of FMHA.

      I can get a small team of Bunkers Busters working on pulling one for restoration, while the powers to be build a vision as to where they might be displayed. Mounting some on a wheeled bases would permit their movement within 519 or placement without wheels at an appropriate location would work since no one will be able to move them.

      Any positive comments are welcome.

      Fred

    • jvhroberts19702
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 14, 2016
        Our working group meeting is this Thursday. I will bring it up.

        John
      • Daniel Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 24

        Attached are examples on placement/use of the Mine Wharf Bollards.

        I used Fred’s picture as a starting point for the bollard model, but measurements need to be taken.

        Thanks,

        Dan

        Sent from Mail for Windows 10

        Message 4 of 11 , Jan 24
          I like that Dan has stimulated alternative visions of how to use the bollards.  The great thing about any choice is that the bollards are in great shape, easy to access, and if in the future a change is deemed, they are relatively easy to move with current Park equipment.

          Every now and then we are handed a no-brainer. This is one.

          Incorporating the 18" plate with the 16" hole is another opportunity.

          Thanks Can for depicting your ideas.

          Fred

          Message 5 of 11 , Jan 24
            I like it!! The only thing I'd suggest, and this is just my $0.02 worth, is let's not clutter up the 16 inch pad too much.

            Also, how many of these do we have at the park?

            John

            Message 6 of 11 , Jan 24
              Thanks, Fred and Dan! Just to remind everyone, we need to run this by Parks and get them to sign off. Probably a project form submission is a good start.

              Any idea how we want to mount these? Concrete pads? Something else?

              John

[...]

            • Carrow, Sean (DNREC)
              Message 7 of 11 , Jan 24
                Hey and guys,

                I sent an email to free but let's talk this week sometime Thursday or Friday and get a good plan together to move forward.  thanks John,Fred, and Dan.

                -Sean

                Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

                Message 8 of 11 , Jan 24
                  Hey Sean,

                  I am going to update our website at the beginning of next week to cover all February and March events + the monthly Open Houses thereafter.
                  Has a schedule of all DSP events been finalize for March?

                  Thanks,

                  Jim

                  On Jan 24, 2017, at 5:04 PM, 'Carrow, Sean (DNREC)' sean.carrow@... [Fortmilesha] <Fortmilesha@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                  Principal
                  Pierce Advisors, LLC

                  410-456-6559
                  PierceAdvisors@...

                • fara3x2

                      Message 11 of 11 , Mar 10 8:26 PM

                      There is also a double bollard back there also.