The week so far

  • jvhroberts19702
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2014
      We've been busy. Dan explored around Battery Smith, and found the water problem. See pictures. The ocean side of the north gun block needs some work.

      The crew, led by Jack B, set the lathe and milling machine and started assembly. It's going to be a process, but we have all the right skill sets in our group, some I wasn't expecting! Gotta love it when people step up without being asked! The parts are heavy, the fits are very precise and some cleanup was needed.

      It's a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but we have most of the manuals, and we're smart guys, so, as always, we WILL succeed!
      This will add important capabilities to our organization, to make and restore parts, maintain our equipment, and do what would ordinarily be the impossible. Which, of course, we do all the time!

      Fred added the brake lever to the shot cart, and helped us in Smith to get everything set in the right place. Lathes and milling machines need lots of space around them to load parts, long pieces of stock, etc.

      Parks has a quote for a new door for the north entrance. We're looking at a one piece canopy door with a man door in it. Timetable to come.
      We'll do the demolition and temporary security while it is being installed, and we'll trim out the new door.

      Things are moving! Thanks to everyone, especially our partners.

      John

    • jvhroberts19702
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2016
        First, I want to welcome back Steve Tarantolo! He's a master carpenter, and an overall great guy. He brings a lot of talent to the party, as well as a really bright outlook on life. Glad you're back, Steve!

        Also, Mike Boteler came back. He looks great, and he's rehabilitating very well. Glad you're back as well, Mike!

        We are coming along nicely on the window rehab for the barracks. We'll have enough to do the kitchen area very soon, and all the rest of T604 by April. We'll do what we can for T603 by then as well.

        Fred bought enough poplar to make two shells for our shell delivery system. He used the planer in maintenance, and the pieces look great.

        Don is doing a great job of getting the south store room of 519 cleared out and spiffed up, as well as one of the store room in Smith for storing all the odds and ends we've accumulated for doing all the things we do. We also straightened out the other store room in Smith for the 261st materiel.

        Got the transverse feed running on the milling machine. A new drive brought that home, and the machine is now fully operational.

        We had a bit of a problem with the roll up door at 519. The drive chain broke, and the crew is working to bring it back to life. The building is secure, but we can't get anything large in or out of the building at the moment. I have no doubt our crew will prevail!

        Getting our plans together to get the General Miles painting and the Schroeder (sp?) paintings transferred to Battery 519. The plan is to move the ones from Lewes Library next Thursday. We'll probably move the ones from Biden at the same time. We'll lock and secure the room in 519 once these are in place.

        Getting a plan together to make the display system for these, we should have this in place by April.

        Nice progress! Thank you, EVERYONE!!

        JVHR

      • fara3x2
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2016
          John,
          Would you consider using a mesh or chain link type fencing for the actual hanging areas ? You can cover a very large area with mesh. Just a thought.

[...]

        • Dr. Donald Hattier
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2016

            The person I need to contact re the WIFI in the bunker is on vacation till Feb 2,

            Will get up with him then

            Dr D

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2016
              The system we're talking about is not expensive, quite flexible, and has some style to it. However, mesh may be a great idea for other displays. Thanks, Frank!

              JVHR
            • jvhroberts19702
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 29, 2016
                No worries, and thanks!! BTW, those shades look amazing!! Gary was blown away by the pics!

              • Donald LeGore
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 29, 2016
                  Don,

                        I am in the system for social security, should receive my first check next month.  I am now working only 4 days a week, I am off Friday or Monday, my choice.  That means if I have a place to bunk I can come to the fort for a three-day weekend work session.

                       Also, not sure if I ever told you but I use to repair electric motors for a living.  Mostly small single phase AC motors.  I also helped with wiring in commercial and residential settings.  I would be glad to put these skills to use at the fort.

                      I hope everyone made out o.k. from the storm.  We had more than two foot of snow but I saw pictures of flooded streets and the such along the coast.  I was thinking about everyone.

                      Also, at one time a M1920 gun rack was discussed.  Is that still on the want list?

                  Thank You,

                  Don L.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 1, 2016
                    Thanks for being with us Don!

                    You have a lot of skills! Most impressive.

                    Folks, the gun rack he's talking about, is that something we want? Shawn? Don H?  Let us know.

                    Thanks!

                    JVHR
                  • Dr. Donald Hattier
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 1, 2016

                      That gun rack is the one that I got  from smith. Shawn did not want it.

                      We are planning to make two racks out of it. A m1920 was convertible between pistols and rifles.

                      There are four pistol/rifle rings and all we need is another base. Then we have the correct number of positions for a full barracks, around 40.

                      The pipe and upper section can be created locally. The base on the other hand would need to be cast or a replica welded. Working on it.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 27
                        Folks, lots happening!!

                        The crew scrubbed the floor in 519, looking great!! It may seen trivial, but it's 20,000 square feet. Also, vacuumed up all the dead black flies. Still trying to figure out how they got in there.

                        Doors were definitely on the agenda. Jack and Steve making fabulous looking replicas for the barracks, as expected, and Fred making doors for 519's PSR. Lots of routing, joining, welding, plasma cutting, etc. Smith is a very busy place!!

                        Tom and Bob straightening out some of the hacked wiring in Smith. The lights work so much better and no more going down dark corridors to find the light switch!

                        The crew erected the Fort Miles Museum signs, with assistance from Parks. We're ready for out Saturday Open House!!

                        And loads of other odds and ends.

                        Nice work, everyone!!

                        John

                      • Daniel Brown
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 27

                        Pictures attached.  Four Fort Miles Museum signs were installed.

                        Get Outlook for Android