The week in review

  • jvhroberts19702
    Message 1 of 127 , Feb 28, 2014
      Folks, I want to say thanks to our volunteer group. In spite of a couple of difficult projects, they came through with flying colors. Heck, everybody showed up, and we're not even getting paid! How cool is that?

      The crew have the concrete demolition in the south shell room 96% completed. We'll finish it next week, and the following week, we'll haul the debris (all 30,000 pounds of it!) out of the building and to the recycler. The park has agreed to help us with this, and we should only have to handle this stuff once. This was a physically challenging experiment, and even though we have a very positive result, it's just physically and time wise to arduous. Thanks to Tom Anderson, we had two outfits show up this week to quote on the remaining demolition, which is the overpour in the corridor.

      Very well done!

      The other project was repairing the hinges on Igloo #6. Fred, Dan and Jack B. did an outstanding job. Three of the four hinges are in place, and the door is secure enough for the up and coming parts storage. Fred has the 4th hinge being repaired, but we'll do that one at our convenience. Remember, this was up in the air, and it was pretty cold this week, and the doors weigh 1200 pounds EACH!! So, again, hats off to an arduous task well done!

      Thanks to everyone!

      John
    • jvhroberts19702
      Message 127 of 127 , May 20 4:59 AM
        Folks, lots going on!!

        The merchandise kiosk is really coming along!! The frame is done, the woodwork is really coming along, the thing looks totally professional!! Can't wait to see the final product!!

        The 90mm gun had lots of attention, under Dan Brown's leadership. One of the two jacks for the outriggers actually works! It has leaks, and we will rebuild both of them.

        The 90mm gun is now prepped for sandblasting!! As a reminder, anything in Smith that's part of this needs to be moved outside.

        519's PSR is ready to receive its new doors. Pat B painted them this week, and they are outside of Smith ready for next week's installation. Fred also started on the next set for the mine casemate. All the frames are complete, now to add the sheet steel to the face, brackets, etc., and then paint. Moving right along!!

        Jeff and I tagged some of the shop equipment we want to get rid of. Don H has first right of refusal, so, he needs to come check it all out soon.

        Parks did a great job of emptying the artifact room, now ready to get rid of the asbestos floor tiles.

        On that note, a reminder, Battery Smith will be off limits all next week for this operation.

        519 is standing tall, the place looks great!! Hats off to our crew for keeping up on cleaning, et al.

        The north shell room is ready to go for more artwork. As a note, not sure who put all the flags, et al, in there, but this isn't how you treat our nation's flag. They need to be stored properly, and not laying on the floor. Let's keep all the extra stuff in the north M/G room, aka the FMHA store room.

        And lots of other odds and ends!!

        Well done, everyone!!

        JVHR