Re: DNA TESTING - Carpenter-1-Name - a new FTDNA Project for Carpenter/Zimmerman atDNA, mtDNA and such

  • John R. Carpenter
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5
      Marion,

      For the Carpenter Cousins Y-DNA Project the atDNA test (Family Finder at
      FTDNA & The DNA Test at Ancestry for example) is not helpful or useable.

      But there is a new FTDNA DNA Project called Carpenter-1-Name that accepts
      all types of DNA tests. Please see:
      https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/carpenter-1-name/about

      Since you tested at FTDNA, log in there then go to the link above. Click on
      the Join button on the right side of the image. If you can not see the Join
      button, try logging into FTDNA again.

      At this time it is a very small group. But if you have matches, you will be
      able to communicate to them via the FTDNA system.

      You can see FTDNA # 386630 basic lineage within Group 5 at:
      http://carpentercousins.com/generallineage.htm#386630 - scroll up and right
      if needed to see his ID number in red.

      You also may be interested in Section A) of the supplemental on line at:
      https://carpentercousins.com/supplemental.pdf - This is a basic primer on
      the different types of DNA tests.

      John R. Carpenter
      La Mesa, CA USA

      Carpenter Cousins Project - Our main support page!
      https://carpentercousins.com

      Carpenter-1-Name DNA Project - all DNA tests
      https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/carpenter-1-name/about

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6

        John –

        We are moving to Washington State at the end of this month.  Since, I learned a few years ago that I am not really a “genetic” Carpenter, I think I’ll bow out of the Carpenter Cousins project.  I always had the best of intentions to meet you for a cup of coffee one day, but it does not look llike that will ever happen.

        Best to you.

        Regards,

                Jim (Keppler) Carpenter

        I am a descendant of the Carpenter/Zimmerman line. I had my
        cousin's y-dna (kit 386630) sent to you several years ago. I have
        not had his family finder test. I have had mine done (Family Finder)
        and my kit number is 713943. My gedmatch number is XXXXXX. I am not
        sure if this is any use to the project or not. My line is: mother -
        Sarah Glendon Carpenter; grandfather * Warner Lafayette Carpenter; great
        grandfather - Leonidas Lafayette Carpenter; gggrandfather - Joseph
        Carpenter; ggggrandfather - Peter Carpenter. That is the paper
        trail that I have. I believe the line continues with gggggrandfather
        - Joseph Zimmerman, Hans Zimmerman, Abramham Zimmerman, but this is from
        family trees posted on Ancestry.
        Marion Wortham
        Joyce

        Gene,

        > But because of the internet, like an old horror movie, it continues
        to rise from the grave now and then. Then it deserves another
        proverbial> stake through the heart.

        > I was overly generous when I described that ... such has only been
        > speculated at best with good wishes, spit, tape and vain hope!
        > And ... In reality, the best documented Carpenter surname lines only
        go> back into the late 1500s.

        > I should have added that the best documented genealogy on the two
        William> Carpenter immigrants and their immediate extended families are in
        the> Carpenter Sketches which you wrote in 2008 and since have kept
        updated.

        > As a side note, The Carpenter Cousins Project is always looking
        for> documented genealogy on Carpenter Cousins from Western Europe. A
        free> basic 12 marker Y-DNA test is offered for those who meet the
        criteria.

        > ISOGG provides a list of many surnames with similar free DNA test
        offers.
        > See:

        https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__isogg.org_wiki_Free-5FDNA-5Ftests&d=DwIFaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=PoSp0iGmUXW-Fw8VBTht1XwxFCKgwXWXlB0p2iS9bdU&m=e5RbomCW_ttYwpqdVyxwK7EljcOwzRN2iDaPm9Ycm60&s=x3CFElhTaQ3r0SCNfuhsla_jneIXb5I8uGjaqCQOu9A&e=
        > Scroll down to Carpenter Cousins.
        >
        > John R. Carpenter
        > La Mesa, CA USA
        > Carpenter Cousins Project - Our main support page!

        <SNIP>

      • John R. Carpenter
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6
          Jim,

          Hopefully the Carpenter Cousins Project can keep your data and your contact info?

          Maybe I can take over your FTDNA kit for you? Just in case of a match? I would need your password and permission.

          Give me a call and let us set up something for a meet.

          Remember a Carpenter is a Carpenter is a Carpenter.  Some of us are just a little weirder Carpenters than others!

          John R. Carpenter
          La Mesa, CA USA
          1(619) 466-5735 home
          1(619) 866-8355 cell

        • missyharmany@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7
            Dear John
            Wanted you to know I just joined the FTDNA group so you now have 13 members
            I’m in Group 7 of Carpenter Cousins

            Kathryn Melissa (Harman) Teague

            Sent from my iPad

            On Sep 6, 2018, at 6:43 PM, 'Jim Carpenter' jcarp1@... [CarpenterCousins] <CarpenterCousins@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            John –

            We are moving to Washington State at the end of this month.  Since, I learned a few years ago that I am not really a “genetic” Carpenter, I think I’ll bow out of the Carpenter Cousins project.  I always had the best of intentions to meet you for a cup of coffee one day, but it does not look llike that will ever happen.

            Best to you.

            Regards,

                    Jim (Keppler) Carpenter

            I am a descendant of the Carpenter/Zimmerman line. I had my
            cousin's y-dna (kit 386630) sent to you several years ago. I have
            not had his family finder test. I have had mine done (Family Finder)
            and my kit number is 713943. My gedmatch number is XXXXXX. I am not
            sure if this is any use to the project or not. My line is: mother -
            Sarah Glendon Carpenter; grandfather * Warner Lafayette Carpenter; great
            grandfather - Leonidas Lafayette Carpenter; gggrandfather - Joseph
            Carpenter; ggggrandfather - Peter Carpenter. That is the paper
            trail that I have. I believe the line continues with gggggrandfather
            - Joseph Zimmerman, Hans Zimmerman, Abramham Zimmerman, but this is from
            family trees posted on Ancestry.
            Marion Wortham
            Joyce

            Gene,

            > But because of the internet, like an old horror movie, it continues
            to rise from the grave now and then. Then it deserves another
            proverbial> stake through the heart.

            > I was overly generous when I described that .... such has only been
            > speculated at best with good wishes, spit, tape and vain hope!
            > And ... In reality, the best documented Carpenter surname lines only
            go> back into the late 1500s.

            > I should have added that the best documented genealogy on the two
            William> Carpenter immigrants and their immediate extended families are in
            the> Carpenter Sketches which you wrote in 2008 and since have kept
            updated.

            > As a side note, The Carpenter Cousins Project is always looking
            for> documented genealogy on Carpenter Cousins from Western Europe. A
            free> basic 12 marker Y-DNA test is offered for those who meet the
            criteria.

            > ISOGG provides a list of many surnames with similar free DNA test
            offers.
            > See:

            https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__isogg.org_wiki_Free-5FDNA-5Ftests&d=DwIFaQ&c=kKqjBR9KKWaWpMhASkPbOg&r=PoSp0iGmUXW-Fw8VBTht1XwxFCKgwXWXlB0p2iS9bdU&m=e5RbomCW_ttYwpqdVyxwK7EljcOwzRN2iDaPm9Ycm60&s=x3CFElhTaQ3r0SCNfuhsla_jneIXb5I8uGjaqCQOu9A&e=
            > Scroll down to Carpenter Cousins.
            >
            > John R. Carpenter
            > La Mesa, CA USA
            > Carpenter Cousins Project - Our main support page!

            <SNIP>

          • John Carpenter

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 7
                Jim,

                Many of us move from one thing to another over time.  But we will never ever quit being Carpenter Cousins.

                With your permission, I will keep your data on file while you move onward. And just in case a match is found, I will try to contact you.

                In the mean time I wish you all the best and may joy and happiness attend you and yours.

                God Bless!

                  Sent: Friday, September 07, 2018 8:40 PM

                  John –

                  I’m 73 years old.  I’ve been retired for 7 years now.  At our new house we will be able to see Mt Rainier from the front door and Puget Sound from the back deck (we bought a view lot).

                  Jim