60Re: [CarpenterCousins] Thomas Carpenter b. abt 1725/1730 Nottingham, Eng - abt 1790/1795 d. East Pennsboro, Lycoming, PA

  • John R Carpenter 2
    May 17 6:08 PM
      Brian,

      You are absolutely correct. Nottingham is in Nottinghamshire, England.  An old newspaper has Nottingham which has been used in at least one book as from where this Carpenter line came from.

      I suspect that Nottingham ... if sloppily written with the H misidentified as an N and without the crossbars on the T letters was confused with Horningsham.

      It is a stretch and at least one other researcher tried and failed on this same idea.

      Here are a few different font types to give you the idea. The French Script MT font could be confused. Maybe ...  Others less so.
      Nottingham – Horninghsam _Typewriter Remington Rivera
      Nottingham – Horningsham - French Script MT
      Nottingham – Horninghsam -Mistral

      John R. Carpenter
      La Mesa, CA USA
      Carpenter Cousins Project